If you’re starting a new project or building a mobile application, React Native likely pops up as an option when deciding which tech stack to use. As a cross-platform tool, it’s a cost-effective alternative to native apps, as you don’t need to have two development teams: one for IOS and another for Android.
All good so far. But, how can you find experienced React Native developers that can bring your idea to life?
Should you hire a freelancer?
A permanent in-house developer?
Or an experienced React Native developer from a trusted software development partner?
If you already asked yourself any of these questions, keep reading. It’s what we’ll cover below.
Why is it so hard to hire React Native developers?
Hiring the right person is never an easy task. It’s often a time-consuming process, sometimes, with no guarantee that the developer hired will be up for the challenge. In case you identified yourself in one of the previously mentioned scenarios or already started a recruitment process, you’ll probably encounter a few obstacles in the way.
But why is hiring a React Native developer so difficult?
A lot of job search platforms (finding a needle in a barn)
If you’re based in the UK or US, you’ll agree that hiring a talented React Native developer can be quite challenging. There are many freelance platforms (Upwork, Toptal, Fiverr, etc.), outsourcing companies, job search boards, and other tools that make it challenging to find the right person.
The rise of cross-platform apps vs native apps
The urgency behind the projects
Conducting a recruitment process on your own is a time-consuming process. From the moment you release a job offer, your inbox can be either flooded with applicants (which is then followed by a hard part of the screening, interviews, technical assignments, etc.) or empty for weeks. The software development industry is in high demand, so if you are in a rush to release your product and you need to find someone quickly, you could use a hand from a trusted software development partner.
The “Bermudas triangle” (as we call it)
As there are no perfect companies, there are no flawless candidates. As you look for perfection, you might come across different personalities, experiences, and technical backgrounds. What is often called cultural fit means finding a balance between the company values, what is expected from the mentioned position, and how easy it would be for a new team member to feel onboarded. Which skill are you going to value the most? An impressive experience? A humble yet confident attitude? Or an in-depth knowledge of React Native? We believe it is a mix of these three skills, in the right doses.
Why do you need to hire a React Native developer?
Understanding your needs and acknowledging the phase your company is going through, is a great way to start. It might seem obvious, however, in such a high demand industry as software development, hiring an experienced React Native developer can be a struggle. Thus, you need to have a clear view of what your company needs to thrive and how that person is going to help you achieve that.
Let’s take a look at three typical case scenarios where you can probably link your company to:
Scenario 1: Early-stage startup
If your company is a startup in an early stage, having no time to lose is like a mantra. Investors are usually hungry for results and you need a faster time to market to test your mobile application. With this in mind, building an MVP is an option to consider, which means that your best way out is to hire an experienced React Native developer who can boost your development.
Scenario 2: Native to Cross-platform app
Hiring a React Native developer can be difficult if you do not have a clear understanding of what you need both in the short and long term. Let’s say that you already have an iOS app. However, you’ve identified that the Android market has a strong potential in terms of business, and now you need to make the Android version of it. Instead of hiring an Android team, a possibility is to hire React Native developers to help you build a cross-platform mobile app. It comes up as a way of having a shared codebase for both device families and saving money in the long term, as you don’t need to have two development teams.
Scenario 3: Web product to mobile application
In case you have a web application built by your in-house development team and need to create a mobile version of it, adopting React Native can be a great option in terms of cost/benefit. Depending on your team size and allocation, if your front-end developers already have a background in React, the transition to React Native is smoother. This way, you can only extend your existing team with expert React Native developers instead of hiring a whole new team for Android or iOS.
Scenario 4: You have the product, the team, but lack the background in React Native
For each of these scenarios, there’s an ideal way to promptly hire your talented React Native developers while guaranteeing an ideal skill set. Searching for the right talents can be daunting, especially in an industry like software development with such high demand. But it doesn’t always have to be like this. Especially if you know your options.
How to find trusted React Native developers?
Hiring the right React Native developer to your team starts by knowing how to find them. To streamline this process a little, we identified your leading solutions:
1. Hire an in-house React Native developer on your own
This might be your first option when you think of recruiting a new team member. You can set a budget, align expectations in terms of the candidates’ experience and background, create your job offers, and advertise them on job boards such as Glassdoor, Indeed, LinkedIn, Landing.jobs, Stackoverflow, etc. Here are the pros and cons of this process:
- You can control the whole process;
- The developer will be part of your team, sharing your culture and getting involved in the long term projects;
- Time-consuming (screening and interviewing candidates);
- Competitive industry (high demand for React Native developers, which makes it harder to find the right person);
- High-risk for a bad fit, as your budget or process are not tunned
2. Hire a freelancer React Native developer
If you’re not that into hiring someone permanently to your team, finding a contractor or a freelancer can come up as an alternative. You can search for React Native developers on platforms like Fiverr, Upwork, or Toptal, and conduct the screening process based on the candidates’ profile, projects for which they contributed directly as React Native experts, and reviews of their work.
- Cost-effective for short term projects;
- Public reviews from other companies which eases the initial screening process;
- Time-consuming (as you still need to conduct interviews);
- Lack of engagement as this person will not be entirely part of the team;
3. Contract a React Native expert from a trusted partner (software development company)
On average, it takes four weeks to hire a React Native developer on a more traditional approach, like the ones mentioned previously. But it doesn’t always have to be this daunting. If you’ve never considered contacting a staff augmentation company who’s expert in software development to help you with this, you may not be aware of its advantages due to the common misconception of being a more expensive solution.
- Easier Integration with an In-House Development Crew: companies have a development process and can adapt or improve yours. (freelancers and new team members will spend considerable time finding out how to work together as a team.
- More flexibility, as the days invoiced depend only on the number of days dedicated to your project. (time and materials monthly invoice)
- Higher code quality & overall quality levels. Working with an experienced team has the big plus of getting meaningful advice on the best direction to go or on the best way to do it to avoid costly mistakes.
- Faster hiring process, as React Native developers are ready to join your team remotely.
- Higher scrutiny, since companies have a reputation to maintain as a brand (while a freelancer platform delegates this reputation to the freelancer itself)
- For some, the budget may be a concern as you might think that extending your team with a React Native developer from an expert software development company can be more expensive than an in-house developer or a freelancer. It also depends on the number of hours required from one developer and if the project is short or long term.
To partner with a software development company saves you time and money when you decide to hire a React Native developer.
Why are we so picky when hiring React Native developers?
Here at Imaginary Cloud we are experts in web/mobile app development and UI/UX design. Over the last decade, we have been hiring only the best developers and UX designers in Portugal. We have multiple projects for top clients worldwide, and it’s our way to guarantee the best performance and quality of the work delivered. Hiring React Native developers is not an easy mission, just as retention of those talents. We want our people to be at their best every day. This is why we have excellent working conditions with tons of space and natural light, along with competitive salaries and other benefits.
According to Glassdoor, it takes 120 candidates to make one engineering hire. Over the years, and learning from our own mistakes, our HR designed a process that ensures we can reduce our margin error in the hiring process. After releasing the job offer and spreading the word, this is how our recruitment process looks like:
Phase 1: Basic technical assessment (to ensure that the knowledge baseline that we need is there or not)
Phase 2: Interview to make sure there’s a fit with the company’s values, team, and culture.
Phase 3: Technical assessment suited to the role
Some might say that we’re picky, but we do it intentionally. We want to make sure that we’re hiring a person that shares our vision of creating digital products that improve people’s lives while being skilled at it. For this reason, when hiring a React Native developer that will later join a client’s team to build a mobile application, our specialized HR team works together with our Senior developers that conduct all the technical interviews. Our retention speaks for itself: 91% in 2019.
What our clients say about our team
We’re proud of the way we work. Having in our team the best React Native developers in Portugal and delivering the best of breed digital products to top clients worldwide is rewarding. But above that, we’re grateful for knowing that our clients are happy with our performance, grow with us and recommend us to other players as they feel we’ve contributed to their success.
Find experienced React Native developers with a software development partner
Hiring a React Native developer can be a struggle if you do not have a clear understanding of what you need both on a short and long term basis.
While it can be time-consuming to hire on your own or make sure a freelancer has all that takes to perform well, recurring to a software development partner can be extremely helpful when:
- You have a new product to develop in a short time to market, and you can’t invest a lot of time in a recruitment process from scratch;
- You don’t have a lot of experience hiring React Native developers, such as designing and conducting technical assessments, that are essential to evaluate the candidates’ performance;
- Your company is at a very early stage. You need experienced professionals that can not only boost your software development but also provide meaningful advice on how to perform;
- You need a React Native developer for only a few months or short term, where you don’t really need to hire in-house React Native developers.
At Imaginary Cloud, we have the best React Native developers in Portugal. We’re the #1 software development company in Portugal by The Manifest and we delivered more than 100 projects over the last ten years.
In need of React Native developers to build a mobile app or help you with an existing project? Get in touch!
Found this article useful? You might like these ones too!